Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay

Sittin' in the mornin' sun

I'll be sittin' when the evenin' come


I'm working on my fourth day in Kuwait now on my way back from R and R. I think this is the place where they send you to make you appreciate Iraq. We are waiting on a flight back to our base but because our base is so small they don’t fly there very often. So we wait.


We have to check in at 0700 and 1900 for accountability and to see if we have a flight. We don’t have a flight though so then we check our email, eat, sleep, read, or watch a movie. So far I have read four books, three magazines, and watched a few movies. We have discussed stealing an SUV and driving ourselves North many times. The biggest problem here is we have nothing we are required to do except checking in every twelve hours. When we are in Iraq we are constantly busy so the time passes quickly. Here, the time is crawling.


The news is always on in the chow hall and currently they are always talking about Obama. So far, I know what parties they went to, who designed all the outfits Michelle wore, and what he ate for his first meal on Air Force One. I heard a rumor that he gave a speech also but so far that has been absent from the “news.” I looked it up online but it was too long to read in the 20 minute time limit so I’ll have to wait until I get back to Iraq to see what his speech was about.


I have also been looking online at different options for jobs and places to live when I return. Now that I have my bachelor’s degree and most of my master’s degree, I’m seriously considering getting a job when I get back. It should be a great time to purchase a house when I get back and I am really excited about finally having my own place. All I have to figure out is where I want that house to be and how I will pay for it. Unfortunately, the same thing that is making the housing market affordable for us could also make it difficult for me to get a job. I’m going to be doing a lot of research over the next 6-8 months.


Sadly there is no bay here and therefore no dock. But I am wastin' time.


I'm going to try to find a pig,



Kyle



Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.


-Susan Jeffers



NOTE: I am back in Iraq now and have been here for a few days. I did spend five days in Kuwait on the way back from R and R though and that is when I wrote this. I just wasn’t able to post it while I was in Kuwait.

No comments: